SOAS University of London

International Students

Working in the UK

Most international students are now eligible to work part-time in the UK, up to 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time in vacations, if they are on a full-time programme of at least six months duration. You will probably find that your passport has a stamp that states that you can work only if you obtain permission from the UK Department of Education and Employment. However, the UK government has now granted permission to work to all students with this type of stamp.

Please do remember that in order to satisfy the requirements of your student visa you must be able to show that you already have sufficient funds to maintain yourself. You must not rely on part-time earnings to support you, nor should you say that you are intending to work to provide sufficient funds to live on whilst here. Your academic programme may, in any case preclude you from undertaking paid work.

If you work whilst studying in the UK you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number. After you have found a job you should apply for a National Insurance Number at the Benefits Agency Office which covers the area in which you live. You will find this in the telephone directory under Benefits Agency.

The local Benefits Agency for students residing in Dinwiddy House is the Hoxton Office: 30 Drysdale Street, London N1

If you live in Paul Robeson House the local Benefits Agency is Travis House, Tavistock Square, London WC1.

Advice on the rules about working for part-time students can be sought from the Student Welfare Office at